Sunday, February 3, 2013

Myths of Dieting, Weigh-loss that Undermine Efforts


A profound study was just published in the New England Journal of Medicine.  Profound in that it exposes some myths that are entrenched in our food-thinking.  

“In my view,” said Dr. Jeffrey M. Friedman, a Rockefeller University obesity researcher, “there is more misinformation pretending to be fact in this field than in any other I can think of. (NY TIMES, Many Weight-Loss Ideas Are Myth, Not Science, Study Finds. 01/31/2013). ”

We operate using a “reasonableness bias” – If something sounds reasonable we buy into it.  It does seem reasonable that if you weigh yourself every day it might help control your weight.  Right?  Wrong!  Personally the scale confounds me.  I don't touch it.  If my non-stretch jeans feel a little tight, I watch myself.  It might also seem reasonable that if people urge you on it can help you lose weight.  Not so.  The worst that you can do for someone battling weight is to nag.  I have a friend who watches me weight like she'd panning for gold.  When six months of prednisone (notorious for putting on weight) bloated me up some fifteen pounds, up to a size 10, (I'm 5' 7"), I stopped seeing her.  Frustration with weight is another issue that is cloudy. 

It might seem that if you get frustrated you will drop off the weight loss wagon.  Again, that is not necessarily true.  Some people thrive, are motivated when they are frustrated.  It heightens the importance of the goal. 

It might seem reasonable that setting small goals might help more than setting large goals.  Not necessarily true.  Some individuals like the challenge of life-changing weight loss.  That's one of the appeals of WLS.  

The article points out that Weight Loss Surgery may be the best option for some of us.

In my opinion the greatest problem we face is self-loathing.  It gets in the way of rationality, deflates self-worth and sets us up for failure because we think we doomed.  Enjoy the article link below! Dr. Dawn Hopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment