Saturday, February 9, 2013

Lap Band and Gastric Bypass: Is it so terrible?


I had a reality check last night. It came from a literary agent.  I'm trying to get representation for my book FAT CHANCE :

I read your query letter and I see lots that's thought-provoking in your presentation. Unfortunately, there are two detractors against your desire to obtain a book deal.

One problem is that weight loss surgery is still viewed with suspicion by the obese, as well as many physicians, who prefer not to restrict the food entering the stomach by such radical means. The recidivism rate is also daunting, as well as the fact that there have been victims of the surgery who have lost their lives.

I thank her because she reminded me that the world sees WLS as a problem.  Despite endorsement  by every major medical group, and most insurance companies, despite the successes, the public is still fed the shitty media hype out there.

The public wants to see us Carnie or Roker up.  
"Has she gained any of her weight back," my nasty cousin asked my daughter. 
I called her and asked her if she had gained any weight since I saw her last!  

You won't get on the JOY FIT CLUB if you have cheated willpower.  I recall watching that emaciated so-called expert actually say something like this to a woman who lost over 100 pounds . . .  "AND YOU DID IT WITHOUT TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT - SURGERY."

I'm sure the producer screamed in her ear.  She lost all my respect.  I don't degrade the people who work to lose a hundred pounds!  I was one of them and I gained back every bit.  Three times, just like 96% of them will.  That is the statistic.  

I thank that agent, she gave me great advice.  Now we have to share the word about this surgery--we are vilified- like we made a pact with the devil.  

Fat acceptance move over.  We are damned if we do and damned if we don't!  

No comments:

Post a Comment